Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanksgiving Feast-Corn Souffle!!!

I've been so in love with that song Viva la Vida I didn't want to post and push it down!  LOL!  

Well, Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I can't wait!  I LOVE Thanksgiving because all we worry about is eating, no presents, no wrapping, no shopping for gifts that nobody wants, etc.

We make a traditional Thanksgiving:  bird, stuffing (my mother makes the BEST stuffing in the world, no kidding-and my dad's is probably number two!), mashed potatoes, corn souffle, cranberry sauce, peas or broccoli or asparagus-something green-and rolls.  

Oh, you say you don't know what corn souffle is?  Well, you have just stumbled onto the GREATEST dish ever. I can eat it until I am sick, literally.  I eat it cold, hot, warm, right out of the oven with a spoon, hiding the spoon marks-you name it!

It's simple:  eggs, milk, creamed corn, green onions, Ritz crackers, salt and pepper, and melted butter.  Mix it all up together and wowza!!!!!!!  The crackers make a crust but keep the inside moist and yummy......oh, you just have to try it yourself!

Here's the recipe:
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
17 oz can creamed corn
1 cup buttery cracker crumbs-not too small, leave some big pieces 
2 tbsp chopped green onions-although I use more because it tastes better!
3 tbsp melted butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Oven 350 degrees
Lightly butter 1 1/2 quart casserole.  In medium bowl beat eggs and milk.  Add rest of the ingredients; blend well.  Pour into casserole.  Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Do not overbake, casserole continues to cook when you take it out of the oven

I actually double the recipe and put it in a bigger casserole and bake it for 60-65 minutes.  Check it for jiggliness-too jiggly and it'll collapse.  Still yummy, but you want it to last and last.

I will post a picture this Thanksgiving of this beautiful creation!  Try it and let me know how much you love it!

No comments: