Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My take on Tim Holtz's Christmas Tags


I have been checking out Tim Holtz's blog recently to see how he's doing his 12 Tags of Christmas projects.  They are really cool but REALLY involved!  Some of the tags have over 40 steps!  I don't know about you, but I really don't like when projects are so involved that it takes me forever to get it done.

So I decided to try making a tag using ONLY Close to My Heart products, and trying to make the tag Faster*Simpler*Easier~of course!  

I started with a white tag, one I've had clogging up my desk forever, and used the sea sponge tool to ink the background with desert sand ink.  Then I used the same tool and added a little twilight ink, then again the sponge and outdoor denim ink to give it lots of depth.  

I stamped using outdoor denim and Vintage Christmas and just added the words to the background, and the saying on the bottom.  I added a strip of Aspen paper, tearing one side and inking that with outdoor denim ink too.  I inked the dimensional element with desert sane, stamped the Christmas sentiment in outdoor denim, then sponged a tiny bit with twilight and outdoor denim until it looked the way I wanted.

I used a metal rimmed tag, and heat embossed a vintage Santa using gold embossing powder, and added some creme brulee ribbon.  I inked the background of the Santa tag with creme brulee ink, then a tiny bit of twilight and outdoor denim inks.  I also inked the edges of the Santa tag a tiny bit with Timber Brown Staz-On ink.  I attached the dimensional element using pewter square brads.  I used two felt flourishes with a little outdoor denim ink-the flourishes are already twilight so adding outdoor denim added a little depth to them.  I attached them using liquid glass, as the felt won't stick with glue dots!  I attached the Santa tag with two strips of foam tape, and voila!  Tag is done.  I think I'm going to go back and use my edge distresser on the edges of the tag, then use some cocoa ink to darken up the edges.

I was pretty proud of myself for trying this-as I like to distress, but usually Tim Holtz is way too distressed for my tastes.  But something about those 12 tags got me excited and I decided to give it a try.  I think I will even make more!  

What am I going to do with them?  I have NO idea!  Maybe hang them up all together or something.  I will let you know!

No comments: