Saturday, May 14, 2011

The curse of being Supremely Optimistic....

So I had a workshop/party today in Spotswood, NJ.  Not really far away but far enough, about 1.5 hours.  I knew that I could get there quickly and easily but...wrench in the plans:  The NJ Parkway was closed for a few exits going north right after I get on.  I have a GPS, no problem!  I looked on Mapquest (I'm not entirely faithful to my GPS) and saw how I would get there.  Easy!

My GPS wants me to take Route 9, the slowest of all roads in the whole state of NJ if you need to get anywhere on any type of schedule.  So I went an alternate route.  REALLY alternate.  It went well for about an hour, then suddenly I was in the middle of NOWHERE.  One lane country highway.  Fields of produce swaying in the breeze.  Horses.  Preserved farmland...are you getting the picture?  No one was around.  Because I had consistently ignored my GPS until I got to this point, it clearly had some angst with me.  Because suddenly I was told to turn left....into a grove of trees!  Keep going, I said optimistically!  It'll straighten itself out!  Turn left...onto a road.  Okay, I said, this will get me there!  Suddenly, I see this:


Did I stop???  Heck no!  Again, ever the optimist, I thought, this will just take me back around to where I first turned back there, just keep going!  And they meant it when they said pavement ends...some of those potholes nearly swallowed my car!

Did I get back to where I started?  Well.....first I drove through all sorts of fields where people were shooting skeet (not sure if that's the right terminology, but I didn't stop to ask).  Then I drove along a river or lake on an even MORE unpaved road that ended in an enormous pothole filled with water.  The best part was when I turned around to follow my breadcrumbs back out of this mess was the GPS lady telling me to "turn around when possible"!!!  

I did get to the party...after I got a ticket....don't ask.....and we had a great time.  Lesson learned when driving in my optimistic way:  BRING A MAP!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh how your post made me laugh! I was going to a crop with a downline of mine using my GPS and we had the same type of experience. We ended up out in the country on a dirt road that looked like a bad driveway. Us optimists just keep going ....even when our brain tells us...hmm...turn around.

Jennifer said...

Right??? We optimists just keep going and going...it's GOTTA turn into a real road SOON!! Too funny. Plus, I lost my hubcap on that godforsaken unpaved road.