Tuesday, July 17, 2012

CTMH Convention 2012 Keynote Speaker: Stacy Julian

At every convention, Close to My Heart invites someone to speak to us as our Keynote Speaker. This year we were thrilled and humbled to hear Stacy Julian speak.

Stacy is the founder of Big Picture Scrapbooking, as well as the editor of the now defunct Simple Scrapbooks Magazine, and so much more. She is a Big Deal in the scrapbooking world! She also used to be a consultant for CTMH, back when our company was called DOTS (Dozens of Terrific Stamps). That's what thrilled us so much; not only is Stacy a leader in our industry, she is also intimately familiar with OUR company, CTMH.

Stacy's message is a simple one: Be present in your life. Scrapbook your LIFE, your PEOPLE, not events. Not to use every cute little sticker that you found. Your scrapbooks should tell a story to whoever reads them. You don't have to document every EVENT with all those photos you've taken. It's okay to NOT put them in your album. But document your FEELINGS, your HOPES and DREAMS, and be PRESENT in your life as it is right now. (Yes, we were all crying!)

This message hit home with me especially because I scrapbook this way. I tell my children a story on my pages. I often write directly to them. I shared a layout with a new friend on Sunday and when she read my journaling, she said "That's what I want my scrapbooks to be like, to tell stuff like that!"
Click to enlarge and read the TODAY journaling box
I don't scrapbook in chronological order. I scrapbook what is special to me THAT DAY. What pulls at my heart THAT DAY. I love papers and stamps and stickers as much as any scrapper, but what is important to me is telling my life story on those pages. That may be why I often create layouts separately from putting pictures on them. I usually wait until I have a stack of layouts and then I go through and put my photos on and journal. Those two steps are separate in my mind. Huh, I just figured that out!! LOL!

Stacy created a video to share with us at convention, and she has posted it on her blog so we can show you too. Enjoy! And scrapbook your PEOPLE!!!


3 comments:

Penny said...

Thank you, Jen, for the memories, the laughter, the tears, the love, the time you spend with me. I love you....

Jennifer said...

Thank YOU Penny, for being a wonderful friend and the BEST ROOMIE EVER!!! I had the BEST convention trip ever with you, laughing and crying and drinking and laughing some more!!! Hugs with ESSENCE, remember!!

Jennifer said...

And I love you too!! xoxo